A Snippet About The Main Writer


Julian Chong

18, Male, Malaysian. Single and available. Loves God, music, guitars, Gunpla, photography. Loves his friends too~

Jules' Photo Reel

Leave Your Message


ShoutMix chat widget

Jules' Personal Blog

Traffic Feed

Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Shaped Bokeh: Attempt no.1

Was looking up on Bokeh earlier when I came across this...


This is known as a Bokeh filter effect if I'm not mistaken...

This technique uses a piece of paper/manila cardboard with a cut-out of any shape which is placed in front of a camera's lens...
(as pictured above)

It instantly sparked my interest...
And without delay...
I took out my camera and tried it...

But for the first 100+ shots I took...
I kept getting this...

But after much trial and error and reading of forums...

Ahhh~
Sweet success!
I feel so proud of myself =3

Do note that there was no photo editing involved...
The photos were neither cropped nor had the light sources reshaped...
They are all in its raw form...

Read about how it is done here...

Although I just learned how to use this Bokeh technique...
Do feel free to ask me about anything...
And I'll try my best in assisting you...

Here are a few more shots...
I still need to practice more though...

Star shaped filter... Need to redo this filter though... The points aren't sharp enough...
Before the filter was applied...
After the filter was applied...
The filter that I used...

You can experiment with other shapes too...
Use your imagination~

............................................................................................................................

Quote of the day:
"The feeling of contentment lies within success..."
-Julian Chong-

2 comments:

Hika said...

Hey ~ I was reading your comment on diyphotography and you had the same problem as me with the bokeh filters~ but congrats! you figured it out and got some nice shots~

Im still trying to get it to work..

How are you suppose to get rid of the black background while getting a full shot with the shaped bokeh?

I have 17-55mm f2.8
so at 55mm 2.8 with a star shaped 13mm diameter I still get the black frame, is that suppose to happen...

Any help would be much appreciated!!

Unknown said...

Hi Hika...

Thanks for your comment...

About the black frame appearing in your pictures...

Try zooming in all the way... Then you should be able to get the shaped Bokehs...

Let me know how that turns out ya~