A Snippet About The Main Writer


Julian Chong

18, Male, Malaysian. Single and available. Loves God, music, guitars, Gunpla, photography. Loves his friends too~

Jules' Photo Reel

Leave Your Message


ShoutMix chat widget

Jules' Personal Blog

Traffic Feed

Friday, April 3, 2009

Shaped Bokeh: How it is Done

Pic of the day~

I played with the Bokeh filters today... Again!
(Three days in a row edi)

...................................................................................................................................

*note*
This post is a bit long...
I'm explaining some stuff about the shape size on the filters and how you can use the Bokeh filter technique with a point-and-shoot camera...
Just scroll to the end if you just want to take a look at the shaped Bokeh shots I took today...

...................................................................................................................................


Made some new filters...
Tulip(top left), Maple Leaf(bottom left), Cross(bottom right), 6 Petal Flower(top right)

I also made some "modifications" to the filter cap...
I've added the lines for central alignment...

If the filter looks like this when placed in the cap...
It means it is right in the center of the camera's lens...

But if it looks like this...
It means it is not in the center of the camera's lens...

Having the shape right in the center of the camera's lens makes a whole lot of difference...
I'd explain why it has to be in the center but I might go on forever...
You can read about it in the website I mentioned the last time...

I also prepared lots of filters that have yet to receive a shape...
20+ uncut filters here...The circle in the middle of the uncut filter helps me to keep within the allowed shape size for my camera...
It's only about 12mm long in diameter...

The reason why I must use such small shapes is because of my camera's focal length and aperture value...
To know how big the shape on the filter should be...
Just divide the focal length by the lowest aperture value...
For instance...
The focal length on my camera is 35mm with a lowest aperture value of F2.8...
35mm/F2.8=12.5mm...
From here I know that the shapes that I cut out on the filters should be no bigger than 12.5mm in its biggest diagonal...

You can use this Bokeh filter technique with a point-and-shoot camera too...
Here is how:
*note*
This is how you do it for a DSLR camera too...

  1. Find out the focal length and the lowest aperture value of your camera.
  2. Perform the calculations that I just mentioned. (focal length divided by lowest aperture value)
  3. Once you've got your measurements, just cut the out the desired shape on a piece of thin cardboard equal to or less than measurements you got.
  4. Place the card directly in front of your camera's lens. Make sure the shape on the filter is placed in the center of the lens.
  5. Take the picture.

There is no guarantee it will turn out as nice as compared to a DSLR camera though...

Do note that you need to use manual focusing in order to blur the light sources...
If your camera doesn't have manual focusing...
Try using the Portrait Mode if it has one...
The Portrait Mode should blur the background along with the light sources...
You can also try using the Pre-Focus Macro Mode too...
That should blur the light sources as well...

If you are experiencing any problems with getting the shaped Bokeh effect...
Look back into my older Bokeh filter posts...
There are some tips there...

Do leave a question(s) if you need any help...
And I'll try my best to assist you...

Here are the shaped Bokehs that I took today...

As I always say...
The pictures are not edited in any way bla bla bla...
You know the rest...

Enlarge for clearer/better view...

I'm still waiting for the opportunity where I can grab a shot with LOTS of light sources in it...
I'm looking forward to that~


That's all I have for today...
Hope you learned something from the brief explanation I gave earlier~
Do leave comments on your thoughts about this post (or the older Bokeh posts)...

Ciaos~!

.........................................................................................................................

Quote of the day:
"Visual ideas combined with technology combined with personal interpretation equals photography..."
-Arnold Newman-

0 comments: